Window frame materials and window size
Ernad Ibrahimovic, Alma Hudovic Kljuno
Program of Architecture, Faculty of Engineering and Natural Sciences, International University of Sarajevo, Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina.
When it comes to finding a suitable closing for the openings on the building envelope, the choice of proper windows and doors is crucial because it directly affects the energy gain and loss and consequently also the costs. This paper aims to demonstrate how the window design, in terms of material and size, significantly affects the climatic conditions inside the building, such as temperature, humidity, light, and the quality of living in the space. A combination of quantitative and qualitative methods will be used to conduct the research. Data collection and analysis have been done for aluminium and PVC-U window types. To perform data analysis, the collected data were used for description and comparison. Qualitative analysis can reveal the efficient window property and demonstrate the difference using a deductive method. The heat transfer analysis will be performed using the software Winiso combined with SchuCal version 2020 R2. The test results are presented in the form of tables and diagrams, and explained additionally. Key words: Thermal transmittance, U-values, Aluminium windows, Vinyl (PVC-U) windows, Window frames, Window size
1. https://www.schueco.com/de-en/company/sustainability, 15.12.2021
2. United Nations, Climate Action,
3. Apte J, Arasteh D. Zero Energy Windows. Proceedings of the 2006 ACEEE Summer Study on Energy Efficiency in Buildings, August 13-18, Pacific Grove, CA, USA, 2006.
4. Passive House Institute, https://passivehouse.com/02_informations/02_passive-house-requirements, 15.01.2021
5. https://www.reynaers.com/en/how-aluminiumchanged-architecture, 14.10.2021
6. https://www.prozorivrata.com/aluminijumski-sistemi-21-veka-materijal-koji-je-ulepsao-svet/, 5.01.2021
7. Schüco Aluminium Systems,
8. Association, A. A. M., 2006. FGIA. http://www.aamanet. org/upload/file/Locked_Classroom_Vinyl_Windows_ Designed_for_Performance.pdf, 04.02.2021
9. British Plastics Federation, https://www.bpf.co.uk/plastipedia/polymers/pvc.aspx, 26.02.2021
10. https://www.deceuninck.de/en-gb/advantages-ofpvc- windows/, 14.10.2021
11. Van Den Bossche N, Buffel L. Janssens, A. Thermaloptimization of window frames.
Energy Procedia, 2015.
Alma Hudovic Kljuno,
Program of Architecture,
Faculty of Engineering and Natural Sciences,
International University of Sarajevo,
Bosnia and Herzegovina,