Trends in implementation of municipal development projects: the Kosovo experience
Faculty of Architecture, University of Prishtina, Prishtina, Republic of Kosovo.
Municipal development projects in Kosovo implement local legislation and European standards and good practices. However, the issue of good quality remains a challenge in terms of both, procurement practice and technical standards. This paper attempts to highlight these challenges through analyzing municipal audit reports in matters of public procurement of development projects, and by identifying, grouping, and interpreting key problems emerging from reports. Results show that challenges surface as early as in the project inception phase. Also, the trend in addressing procurement challenges is slightly positive, while technical and environmental considerations including aspects of good design remain unaddressed. The paper is mainly trying to disclose the situation in implementing municipal development projects at a national level and to draw attention about the need for enhancement in critical phases of project cycle management.
Key words: municipal development project, municipal audit report, good quality, Kosovo.
- Law on Local Self Government, No. 03/L-040,
- Law on Spatial Planning no. 04/l-174,
In: https://gzk. rks-gov.net/ActDocumentDetail.aspx?ActID=8865
- Law on Construction, No.04/L-110,
In: https://gzk. rks-gov.net/ActDocumentDetail.aspx?ActID=2833
- NALAS, Challenges of regularization of informal settlements in South East Europe, Overview of the relevant urban planning and legalization laws and practice. 2011; pp.48-49.
- Law on Public Procurement in Republic of Kosovo, No. 04/L-042;
In: https://gzk.rks-gov.net/ActDetail. aspx?ActID=2721
- Sporrong J, Bröchner J. Public Procurement In- centives for Sustainable Design Services: Swedish Experiences, Architectural Engineering and Design Management, 2011; 5(1-2): 24-35. DOI: 10.3763/ aedm.2009.0903
- Cruz M P, Caño del A Cruz E. New paradigms for public procurement of construction projects in the United Kingdom-potential applicability in Spain, Canadian Journal of Civil Engineering. 2008; 35(3): 276-286. doi.org/10.1139/L07-100
- Kroese R, Meijer F, Visscher H. European Directive for tendering architectural services; a too strict in- terpretation by Dutch Local Authorities? RICS CO- BRA Research Conference, University of Cape Town, 10-11th September, 2009; 1292-1304.
- Patrucco AS, Luzzini D, Ronchi S. Evaluating the Effectiveness of Public Procurement Perfor- mance Management Systems in Local Govern- ments, Local Government Studies, 2016. DOI: 10.1080/03003930.2016.1181059
- BIRN: Raporti i monitorimit të prokurimit publik në Kosovë: nder me tenderë, (Public procurement monitoring report in Kosovo: favour with tenders), 2016; pp.56-64.
ln: http://kallxo.com/wp-content/ uploads/2016/06/BIRN-RAPORT_NDER-ME- TENDER_alb-.pdf
- INPO. Analizë. Raportet e auditorit të përgjithshëm dhe komunat: mes injorimit dhe zbatimit (Analysis. Reports of Auditor General and Municipalities: Between Ignorance and Implementation), 2011; 3.
In: http://inpo-ks.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/ Raportet_e_auditorit_te_pergjithshem_dhe_komunat_Mes_Injorimit_dhe_Zbatimit_2011.pdf
- KDI. Pasqyra e komunës një vit pas zgjedhjeve lokale a është bërë gjithçka e mundur? Vlerësimi vjetor i 18 komunave të Kosovës, (Overview of Municipalities one year after local elections: Has everything possible been done? Annual assess- ment of 18 Kosovo municipalities), 2014. avail- able in
ln: http://kdi-kosova.org/wp-content/uploads/ publikime/4-pasqyraekomunes1.pdf
- NAO (National Audit Office):
ln: www.zka-rks.org/pub- lication_type/komunat (last accessed 2 April 2018)
- Aboal D, Noya N, Srius A. Contract Enforcement and Investment: A Systematic Review of the Evi- dence, World Development, 2014; Vol.64: 322–338. doi.org/10.1016/j.worlddev.2014.06.002
- Shala M. Challenges for the Local Governance in the Republic of Kosovo. Academic Journal of Interdisciplinary Studies, 2015; 4(3): 661-671. DOI:10.5901/ajis.2015.v4n3s1p661
- IMF (International Monetary Fund) Republic of Kosovo Technical Assistance Report – Public In- vestment Management Assessment, 2016; 8-10. available in
ln: https://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/ scr/2016/cr16100.pdf
- ACE: Public Procurement in the EU: President of the Federal Chamber of German Architects presents position of the profession in the Euro- pean Parliament,
- Jonas Jakaitis J. Interaction of architecture and society: public procurement As Tool To improve local economy and architecture, Urabanistika Ir Architektūra Town Planning and Architecture, 2008; 32(1): 17–27.
Faculty of Architecture,
University of Prishtina,
Republic of Kosovo,